Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing #9 Always Tasteful!


I first checked out Comic Strip Generator, a great way to create funny cards or emails. When I went to basic cartoon search, I got a link to the Simpsons. No way! I thought I’d get more of what I was looking for if I used “music” as a tag. Only two came up – a girl with a violin case (great for orchestra teachers) and one looking a little more promising – Famous Singers quotes, including Elvis Presley. Unfortunately, every single one of the sites came up with a “Back Online Soon” and a whole list of available related (in some form!) websites. Going back and this time choosing “Browse” gave me 63 possibilities with 25 different pictures – lots of fun! Unfortunately, not lots of time! ☺ #1 begins the A’s, and I’m assuming #63 has Z’s. I tried several pages before finding Elvis on page 22! I also checked out CustomSignGenerator, a good place for students to create free visual items (too many to list – they’re in the introductory paragraph.

With just quickly skimming through several of the sites, I didn’t see anything really objectionable. That’s something educators have to be aware of before recommending sites to students.

Tasteful?!? Aren’t we always? ☺

1 comment:

mmw said...

Yes, of course you're always tasteful! Some of the images aren't, though, so you do have to be careful. I'd recommend using this site yourself to create fun images, rather than using it with students.