Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing #16 Online Productivity Tools

I chose Pageflakes because I had already experimented with Google tools. After I set that page up, I decided to go back and check out iGoogle. I discovered I liked it better (layout, visibility). I liked the Humor tab with the Joke of the Day, Funny Quote of the Day and lots of links to cartoons or other humorous sites. I also spent time looking for the right theme banner for the top of my page. There were several good ones, but when the American flag came up, I knew that was the one for me! Another tab that I liked was weather – I added Misawa, Japan, where my son is stationed, so I could see at a glance what kind of weather he was having. I had worked with the Google calendar, so tried 30 Boxes and really liked it – it was easy to add to, easy to change and could be used in school for various projects timelines, class or grade-level production tracking – lots of ways. For online to-do lists, I went to Ta da List. One aspect I really liked was that you could email the list to yourself or someone else. I looked at Backpack as a multiple-tool organizer. The one thing I did not like was that I had to sign up and choose a package without having looked at anything on it (yes, I know there was a free tour but I wanted to get into it quickly). I chose the cheapest rate and will go back later and cancel it, but that, to me, was a real put-off. Once I got on, I thought it had possibilities, but not for $24 a month! I looked at the Top Ten Productivity Web Sites and noticed that their top ten included Google Desktop, Backpack (OK, maybe I judged too quickly!), Google Docs and Spreadsheets, and one more that I had checked out, Stickies. Overall, I would rate many of these online productivity tools as helpful both at home and at school. I’ll find more ways they can be used as time for school gets nearer!

No comments: