Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing #18 Now I'm on MySpace!

This was really out of my comfort zone. I've heard all sorts of stories (haven't we all?), how bad things have happened to children and teenagers from setting up communication with those who weren't really who they said they were. I set up my account, using an alias for my URL, but I answered the questions honestly. I guess I'm not quick enough to come up with something funny, untrue, or outrageous - at least not at this time. I only added two friends, Mary and Debbie! :) I figured that was enough for a start. Now to the serious questions: educators need to know about these sites because the students do, educators need to be aware of the social networking that's going on and, if possible, work with it in ways that will be positive. I'm amazed at how much information is asked (and given) without much thought. I've heard students talk about MySpace and FaceBook and had never really given it much thought until getting on the site myself. There may be times when teachers/administrators might want to check a student's content and answers on either of these sites. I know employers are doing that, as well as checking YouTube. As a music teacher, what I disliked most was the trash I saw offered on the Music section. I preferred the way MySpace was set up over Facebook's layout. I'm still thinking about a library or school application for these fairly open sites - it might be better to leave these out of the picture for any research or name recognition. I think Facebook is geared to older students, and MySpace the younger ones, but there is language, double entendre, and suggestive content that's easy to find. I don't think I'd recommend this for use in school at any time.

1 comment:

mmw said...

Congrats on moving out of that comfort zone. Being aware of what students are doing on these social networking sites will give you credibility if you choose to talk with them about how to be safe online.