Monday, June 16, 2008

Thing #4 Comments are Crucial

Reading several of the blog spots about commenting has been an eye-opener for me. The idea of inviting questions and/or comments, initiating dialogue over what I (or anyone else) have written was intriguing. My original concept was limited - I write, others read . . . and comment? "10 Techniques to Get More Comments on Your Blog" was enough to fritz my mind - I want people to comment on what I've written? Scary! Let others ask questions, leave myself open to criticism, constructive or not? This will definitely be an interesting summer! By blogging I am saying that I welcome input from others (even if I don't agree) and that I'm open to what they have to say. The "10 Commandments for Blogging" presented mostly common-sense ideas, good manners and all that we expect others to exhibit. #4 "Contribute" is an open invitation to involvement in what's being discussed, to have an opinion. I especially liked #9, "Humor goes a long way" - one liners or well-placed comments can bring a smile, or even a guffaw! I enjoy laughing - I've heard that laugh lines are much better than frown lines. The third article was "Using a profile name vs. your real name" - interesting because it brought up the point that while some prefer anonymity in their responses, others want to be recognized, to have a "brand." Use of an avatar can bring recognition as much as a blog name. The article closed with questions: "Do you use an alias or real name? Why? Do you have a unique avatar?" I had to laugh - that's one of the 10 techniques to foster comments! No questions on my blog . . . yet!

I checked out two on our list, "A Teacher's Summer" and "Ms.Brownie's Bag" to start. Reading and then re-reading gave me ideas, mostly agreement on difficulty with the avatar in the first and lack of confidence in the second. It helps when I know that others are struggling - but we keep trying, and that's what counts. I'm not sure if I can disagree with anyone right now. At first glance that seems rude. Everyone has opinions and sooner or later I'll come across one I don't agree with, I'm sure! Then I'll get to practice polite non-immflamatory disagreements.

Update: I've read through several blogs, sometimes to see what they've done, especially if they're ahead of me, and other times just to read what some other bloggers are thinking as we read the same "things." I told "Mandy's Mailbag" that she was an inspiration as the first finisher. It really is an encouragement to know that we CAN get through it. "Boog-phil" mentioned the time it was taking as he checked out many sites. He's slightly ahead of me, and it's good to know I'm not alone in the struggle. Some "things" are easier to do than others, but I have to remember this is a journey, a process. I told "Teddy Bear Blog" that I had missed the image generator sites that she used - the pictures/photos were so good, I knew I wanted to check hers out. In addition to in-house blogs, I ran across one on "betterdays" - the title caught my attention: "In Japan mobile phones are not for making calls." The article said children and teens basically used phones for gaming and texting. I commented that I found it interesting, since my son is in Japan at this time, in the Air Force. I use my cell phone to call his landline there. The second blog I found through Edublog Awards, the Best Teacher blog, "The Tempered Radical." His blog about "High Needs Schools" touched on the difficulties those schools and teachers face. I could identify since I teach at a Title I school, and commented on the need for teachers to care about those children of poverty, whose world is different from many teachers, and give them the dream of success - being a dream weaver, something that we have been challenged to do at our own schools.

1 comment:

Wannabe said...

I agree with you thoughts about - do I really want to invite someone to participate in my thoughts and feeling. Your posting made me think that I really need to think about what my posts and my comments say. They may make a difference either good or bad.