Monday, June 30, 2008

Thing #7 Fun with Flickr? Hardly!

I had never heard of ‘flickr” before, so I took the tour—short and simple, with an invitation to join at the bottom of each page. Hm, 5 simple ways to upload sounds good. I can do that. Organize - make sets or collections (groups of sets) with the handy Organizr. Share . . . with millions?!? I like that groups can be either public or private – it’s nice to have a choice. The Maps tab was interesting, letting others know where the photos/videos were taken. Users can search by topic, tag, time, text, photographer, and group, which would be a great shortcut if I needed photos/footage of a particular place. Make Stuff – prints, calling cards, stamps, books, photo cubes – all kinds of options! The last tab, Keep in Touch, is another way to “reach out and touch” friends and family as well as make new contacts. OK, I’ll create an account.

Spring forward to three days past . . . Flickr fun? This was hard, more than 5-6 hours worth of working on the computer, trying to log in, finally going back and changing the password, trying several things, trying more pages, but it finally worked. I'm probably the only one who had trouble with this. The saving grace was the email from Mary with needed useful hints, otherwise I would have been working on this one longer.

I think, once you learn how, this would work for teachers and students, a way to keep photo collections from various class activities available to everyone. Who would make decisions about public vs. private? That's something that would have to be worked out in advance. I'm sure it's obvious I have never used a photo hosting service before - now I've gone public with three of my pictures, but I didn't put names with one of them. I think that's a way to keep public pictures still private. Onward!

Seconds later . . . GREAT! I lost the picture. Fear not - I'll get it back!! Check it out tomorrow. :)

Days later - come back next week! :)

No comments: