Monday, June 16, 2008

Thing #3 Blog Thoughts

A blog by definition is a web log, an online journal or report. It's something that is live and growing, never stagnant - or shouldn't be. It's reflective writing, a way of sharing thoughts, feelings and/or opinions, so is very personal. At the same time, the words are out for anyone to view - the writer has to think of the "audience." For someone who loves to write, a blog can provide an enjoyable outlet for communication; for those who find self-expression difficult, it could become more of a chore. It's probably evident which camp I lean toward. Anne Davis' Edublog Insights gives many ideas for usage, and I plan to try some of them. In school a blog can serve as an instructive tool, giving information and assignments to students, providing easy communication for parents, tracking events, giving previews of coming programs or events and more.

As a music teacher, I could set up a grade level blog for each grade I teach, give out the address and invite students to comment. Even better would be to help students set up their own blogs. It would be interesting to read their blogs after they completed a required composer report or some special project. Perhaps I could include that for extra points. As a C-TEC I would also like to share the information with fellow teachers, get them started, and let them come up with their own applications. As PTA President, an informative blog would help maintain communication and hopefully encourage parent and teacher-members to get or stay involved. These are ways I might use a blog for school, possibilities to get me started. I make no promises!

1 comment:

mmw said...

Just recognizing the possibilities is all we ask at this point! ;-)